Abstract Archives of the RSNA, 2012
Hematopoietic Tumors of the Female Genital System: Imaging Features with Pathologic Correlation
Presented in 2012
Selected for RadioGraphics
Usama Ibrahim Salem MBBCh, MSC, Abstract Co-Author: Nothing to Disclose
Christine O. Menias MD, Abstract Co-Author: Nothing to Disclose
Akram Mohamed Shaaban MD, Abstract Co-Author: Nothing to Disclose
Priya Ranjit Bhosale MD, Abstract Co-Author: Nothing to Disclose
Ayda Youssef, Abstract Co-Author: Nothing to Disclose
Khaled Mohamed Elsayes MD, Presenter: Nothing to Disclose
- To review the spectrum of hematopoietic tumors involving the female genital system.
- To discuss the clinical implications and management of these tumors.
- To illustrate the multi-modality imaging workup of such tumors.
- To increase awareness and recognition of uncommon presentations and locations of hematopoietic tumors in the female genital system.
- Epidemiology, classification and pathology of hematopoietic tumors involving the female genital system.
- Imaging techniques and impact of recent advances in cross sectional imaging
- Implications for clinical management
- Differential diagnosis
Various neoplasms of hematopoietic nature can involve the female genital system. Lymphoma can affect any site of the female genital system with secondary involvement more common than primary one. Although rare, Leukemic infiltration and extramedullary plasmacytomas of the female genital tract may also occur. Being infrequent, these lesions are commonly misdiagnosed; therefore special emphasis on these diseases & imaging features is of at most clinical importance. In this exhibit, we will discuss the salient imaging features and differential diagnosis. A rational imaging approach helps to correctly identify these tumors, guide the most appropriate treatment and follow up.
Hematopoietic Tumors of the Female Genital System: Imaging Features with Pathologic Correlation. Radiological Society of North America 2012 Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, November 25 - November 30, 2012 ,Chicago IL. http://archive.rsna.org/2012/12027235.html